"where the line is drawn"

Monday, September 12, 2005

Green Planet Calamari



Spent the weekend getting stupid drunk and going to a birthday party and somewhere between the hangovers I watched a few DVDs.

The last DVD I watched before passing out Sunday night was ADV's new GATCHAMAN Vol. One. If you bought Rhino Video's BATTLE OF THE PLANETS you've already seen the Tatsunoko version of the show. What about the new ADV dub? No Sandy Frank 7-Zark-7 and 1-Rover-1, and that's about it. It's the show, unedited in english, and no Casey Kasem and the names have been changed. 4 episodes for $11. And it's pretty pointless if you've got the Rhino Video DVDs. But hey, it's got that great Alex Ross painting on the packaging so maybe you'll buy it.

I also watched THE CALAMARI WRESTLER, which is played like a straight faced sports genre type story, except that the main character is a squid. It's funny in it's juxtaposition, but it's funnier when you're drunk. It's not BATTLEFIELD BASEBALL, but worth a rental at least.

The best DVD of the weekend was SAVE THE GREEN PLANET. A Korean film about a guy who thinks his boss is an alien. So he kidnaps his boss and chains him in his Jamie Gumb basement and I can't say much more without giving away the plot. SAVE THE GREEN PLANET is kinda like another Korean film called OLDBOY and there's a Film Noir quality to both films. This is a film I hope eveybody sees, even though there are parts of it that are very hard to watch.

I need another drink.

End of Review
Even though I don't have another OtakuHELL until Oni-Con I spent some time over the weekend making more DVDs for the show. And I started making Karaoke titles for the Gigantor theme, Speed Racer theme and EEP OPP ORK AH-AH with plans for more. I also spent a few hours on Toon Boom working on A LONG DISTANCE DEDICATION, which is taking shape.

Sunday was Josh's birthday, so I bought him breakfast at Main Steet Cafe, and we invited Bruce and Mundee along with Yuki and her friend Nadine. Saturday night we met at Pirana for Josh's birthday party and had a damn good time. We ate and drank and Josh liked the Skull and Crossbone polo shirt we got him. A good weekend.

0 comments: