"where the line is drawn"

Monday, June 01, 2009

That took a lot outta me

Drive-in--AtTheFiestaDrive-in
Random thoughts about Saturday.

I'm still very tired, even though I slept most of the day Sunday.

I didn't get any numbers, but that was the biggest show I've done to date. Video Room 2 was BIG. And we filled it. S.R.O.

It seems like it was only a dream.

After the show I was pretty punchy. I rambled incoherently to some nice folks who were asking questions about the show. I'd like to apologize to them for that. I was just too burnt out and couldn't gather my wits.

Still, I couldn't have asked for a nicer crowd. They seemed to have a really good time and I used their energy to keep going.

Next year I need to bring more candy.

However, I only need one Halloween Pumpkin for the candy.

If I could get Tim Eldred to come and do his thing at every show I would. Mission Pancreas was a complete success. I can not find words to describe the fun we had re-enacting the A-Kon 4 lobby massacre. Even if Tim can't make it to next year's A-Kon I think we'll have to make Mission Pancreas an annual part of A-Kon Hell.

I thought I'd lose most of the audience who wanted to get in line for Hentaifest at Midnight, but we still had most of the room filled when I shut it down.

A girl came up to me at Ed's Karaoke Ok and asked if I'd cosplayed as Master Roshi the day before. I realized that short of the turtle shell I had unconsciously dressed exactly like Master Roshi.

Next year I need to ask for a half hour set up time before the show.

I brought two video cameras to the show. And wouldn't you know it, one wouldn't work. Even though I'd charged it and tested it earlier that day.

Next year I need to hire ninjas to turn down the bass at the rave in the next room. Kill the DJ.

You know, we always seem to be in the room next to the dance.

Bruce got the table we used for the show, another reason we need set up time.

We had Crow T. Robot and Tom Servo Senshi in the front row. How much more meta can you take?

It took an act of Congress to get the lights turned on in the room. Since the controls for the lights were not actually in the room we had them set them to a sort of low house light. Not ideal. But better then complete darkness. So, yeah, sorry about that. It was beyond our control.

I guess there was a line of folks who showed up on Friday night. Sorry about that. Again, we had no control over that.

If you need somebody to work the crowd before the show get Tim Eldred.

As Tim worked the crowd into a froth the A-Kon AV guy turns to me and sez, "Should we be encouraging this kind of behavior?"

I admitted to him, "Probably not, but it's what we do."

I'm burnt out. But I feel like I accomplished something. I didn't get to play the Main Room at A-Kon, but I got the room next door. And even in the 3rd hour they were turning away people. Biggest room I'd ever done and we were still making trouble for the Fire Marshal.

0 comments: