"where the line is drawn"

Thursday, February 21, 2008

I want to eat sushi off of naked chicks with this guy ...

It took me a while, but I'm slowing figuring this out. And it's been a tough nut to crack.

I was having problems putting together the PGZine, and I wrote about it on the PsychommuSlamFest:

The core problem is the size of Tim's Travelogue. It's just too ginormassive and eats up too many pages.

So, I sat down last week and tried to figure out how to break it down and make it work.

Here's my solution:
I needed to set a page limit. What would be a good and reasonable limit? How about how many sheets of paper can be mailed at letter rate? In other words, how many sheets of 20lb bond copy paper to an ounce? The postage scale at the office tells me 6 sheets is 1 ounce. 6 times 4 zine pages a sheet makes a 24 page zine that I can drop in the mail for $.41.

Of course I didn't include the weight of a couple of staples in that. So lets say the limit is 5 sheets. So that'd make a 20 page zine.

Everybody with me so far?

My plan is I'm gonna break up Tim's Trip to fit in as many 20 page zines as it takes. As soon as I get the first 20 pages done I'm printing up a batch of zines and start working on the next 20 pages.

Of course the 20 page PGzines won't just be Tim's Trip. I'll wedge in some Stuff Good and any beer/music/resturant reviews that'll fit on a page or two.

In fact I'm almost ready to go to print with the first PGzine of 2008, thanks to Uncle Steve posting a couple of nice rants.

0 comments: