"where the line is drawn"

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Kill or be Art


I had only heard of BUDO - THE ART OF KILLING as a rare mondo movie. So when I saw a used copy on the shelf at Half Price I was interested, but cautious. Mondo movies can be a mixed lot. Sometimes you get Mondo Cane, sometimes you get Faces of Death. And I was really hoping that BUDO wasn't going to be the latter. In fact it's a shining example of the right way to do Mondo.

Filmed at the height of the martial arts wave started by Bruce Lee, BUDO is a pretty straight forward catalog of Japanese martial arts. Judo, kendo, karate, and more. And above all BUDO shows all the work that goes into mastering these martial arts. Hell, I got tired just watching these poor bastards beat the crap outta each other. This movie may not be for all people, but I think most folks would find it interesting and informative. But you could say the same about any well made documentary.

0 comments: