"where the line is drawn"

Thursday, March 26, 2009

I wonder what Gondry would do?

It occurs to me that Sweded movies, or Sweding, is a response to Dogma 95, in a way. I wish that Michel Gondry had written a Sweded Manifesto to actually study and compare to the Dogma movement. It may not have been a conscious decision, but Sweding does have a kind of anti-Dogma 95 thing about it.

Of course the original website for the Be Kind Rewind movie is now gone, so I can only dig around for archived versions of it in hopes of finding something of substance. There is a YouTube channel, but it's not too helpful. And there's a Daily Motion contest group here but it's a la french.

I guess, barring finding something from Gondry in print, I'll have to refer to the definition. Re-making something from scratch using whatever you can get your hands on. Although, in the movie, it becomes more of a film making statement, as it ends with a new movie, and not a recreation of an existing movie using the super low budget techniques.

Hold on, I found it.

You'll Like This Film Because You're in it. The Be Kind Rewind Protocol. That's what I was looking for:
Michel Gondry’s debut book is a functional memoir of his quest to put the tools of filmmaking in the hands of as many people as possible. At New York’s Deitch Projects, in February and March of 2008, Gondry emulated the heroic example of his characters, constructing a do-it-yourself film studio in which any visitor could assemble their own film from extant plot summaries and rent the results. His aim: “I intend to prove that people can enjoy their time without being part of the commercial system and serving it…Ultimately, I am hoping to create a network of creativity and communication that is guaranteed to be free and independent from any commercial institution.” This book chronicles Gondry’s journey towards what he calls “The Be Kind Rewind Protocol”, and serves as an inspirational guide to creativity and the art of having fun.

I'm off to Amazon...

0 comments: