"where the line is drawn"

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Britanime?


Quick, name a stylized animated feature film from a small island country that had wide theatrical release in the U.S.A. Ok, WATERSHIP DOWN is probablly acceptible, too.

I watched YELLOW SUBMARINE for the first time in many years. I admit, I had written the movie off as trippy hippy bullshit. But this viewing I was armed with the insight of having read about the making of the movie and interviews with animators who'd worked on YELLOW SUBMARINE and came away enjoying it. Yeah, it's still alot of trippy hippy bullshit, but I admire the design and craft of making a very non-traditional animated feature that succeeded so well in the mainstream market. And they made it on the cheap, too.

On the downside the success of YELLOW SUBMARINE inspired Ralph Bakshi to use the same methods to create a series of really bad animated movies...

0 comments: