"where the line is drawn"

Friday, August 19, 2011

I need a PSA on Film Festivals

I decided to try my hand at making a PSA for the Video Association of Dallas.  Simple. Right?

After reading a few of the posts for the contest, which didn't really have much detail about what they wanted, I figured what did I have to lose. I thought I could make a quick animated short. If I had time, maybe two. and send them off to the VAD.

So, I e-mailed VAD for the "required forms." I figured they'd send me the contest rules and an entry form.

I was so wrong.

What did I get? Absolutely useless legal forms.

 Location Agreement (one page), SAG Film Agreement (3 pages), SAG Info Contract (12 pages), Music License (1 page), Personal Release (1page), and simply Release (1page).

I guess "Release" would be the entry form for this contest. 

Film fest culture shock.  I've waded in to something of stupefying complexity.

I've thought a lot about making animated shorts and putting them in local film festivals.  But other then reading the festival websites and noting the deadlines for entries I haven't had any contact or experience with actually putting a short film in to a film festival.

I've been so naive.

It seems like you need a legal degree, or at least some legal counsel, to fill out the proper forms in the proper fashion to even be eligible.  And you thought just making the movie was hard work. Most likely all this paperwork is just a hurdle set to keep out the ones who aren't serious about entering something. On the other hand it's intimidating. And confusing. I feel like my work won't even get looked at if I fill in the forms wrong.  I really wish there was someone to walk me through this process.  Can't walk through.  Have to leap.  Blindly.

0 comments: