"where the line is drawn"

Thursday, January 21, 2010

HELL production 2010

Working on the show for Ohio. Since I can't go to Ohio and neither can Katie I decided that It'd be neat if I could video tape Katie host segments and edit them into the show. I'd never done anything like that before, so I made lots and lots of mistakes. But I expected that.

The first thing I realized was that my cheap digital video camera wasn't really up to the job. I'd decided to do a few tests before Mila and Katie showed up to see how well the Polaroid did. I was shooting in the living room with two lights, just some Ikea lamps with fluorescent bulbs in them, and it was really disappointing. If I want to keep doing this sort of thing I'm gonna have to invest in a real video camera and some real lights. Cost of a good camera? $1,000. Lights? $100 a piece with stands. But the first problem I needed to address was the video camera's mic. It sucked. But I knew that going in.

To solve the audio problem I got my M-audio mic and used the Asus and Audacity to record with the intention to synch the track to the video later. And it worked pretty well. The audio was much clearer and cleaner then what the Polaroid picked up.

Well, I was stuck with the camera I had. So, I'd just have to work with what I got. And I didn't know where my old tripod was, so I ended up making a stack of old manga and setting the camera on top of that. Cheap, makeshift, that was going to be the mark of this production.

to be continued...

0 comments: