"where the line is drawn"

Friday, October 10, 2008

Jet Pens dot com

150
I don't remember what I was googling when I found this site. Most likely I was looking for brush pens like I do every so often.

http://www.jetpens.com


If you like pens then this is the site for you. They've got brush pens, fountain pens, gel pens, fabric pens, watercolor pens, glitter pens, metallic pens, puffy paint pens, scented pens, and even felt tip pens. But there's no Copics. But, hey, there are sites that sell nothing but Copic markers out there and you probably already know about those.

I love inking. I love a nice kolinsky sable brush and a bottle of ink. But if I'm away from the drawing table I love a good Japanese brush pen. Sometimes an $8 brush pen can produce better lines then my $20 kolinsky, which says something about the quality of these brush pens.

At the local art supply depot I've seen and bought Sakura Pigma brush pens. The problem is Pigma pens suck. Hard. I'll never buy a Pigma pen ever again. If I had a choice between a Sakura Pigma pen and a rusty nail I'd just hope my tetanus shots were up to date. Some people swear by Pigma pens. People I know, love and respect use Pigma pens. But Pigmas have felt tips, and they give a lousy line quality. The felt tips tend to break down as you use them, giving you progressively worse lines. Why fight with your tools to get a decent line? At least that's my experience. I wonder how Copic brush pens hold up in comparison?

You may have seen Kuretake Fountain brush pens at your art supply store. These pens have nylon bristles, and are damn fine. You can consistently get a great line with these brush pens. These are the Cadillacs of brush pens. You can find these on Amazon for $40 plus another $10 for shipping. But over at Jet Pens they are only $30, and it's free shipping for orders over $25. Or you can get a disposable brush pen for $7.50. The Pentel Standard brush pens are my personal favorites.

They also have what they call "hard tip" brush pens. I'm not sure how this pen tech works (because I haven't taken one apart to see how it works yet) but it looks like it has a chiseled felt tip re-enforce with a plastic collar. If you're not use to using a real brush you'll find that you can make some very brush like lines without worrying about things like the lay of the brush bristles and pulling out lines. I bought a couple Pilot and Kuretake hard tip brush pens from Jet Pens and I'm finding that they are pretty good. I think I'll need to use 'em a bit more to get a better idea of what they can do.

I bought so many brush pens from Jet Pens that I need to buy a pencil case for all of them.

0 comments: