"where the line is drawn"

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Cartooning and animating

319

I'm working my way up a nice drawing streak. Let's try to keep this one going for a few days or maybe a week, or two.

Between the HNK book and the AHvsSB animation I think I'll have plenty to do. And thanks to the computer I'll have the tools to do it, too. Welcome the the 21st Century.

I was just working on Atomo for the MAS comic and I realized that Atomo's head is similar in construction to Bugs Bunny. Weird. Hmmm, Atomo has a pear shaped body, too. I only noticed this as I was trying to simplify how I draw Atomo. Simpler is better because simpler is quicker to draw. The simpler the image is the more you have to work with basic design. At least that's what I'm thinking. Not being an artist I have no idea if that's right or wrong. And if only in my opinion, I think simpler looks better. Seeing the basic shapes in the construction and the composition of a drawing is certainly more rewarding.

One of the things that bugs me the most about the HNK work is that I'm not happy with my drawings of Katie. I've drawn pages and pages trying to work out and simplify the construction of HNK but I'm not quite there yet. Gotta keep working at it.

On the other hand I was able to work out the construction of Crossy quickly because he's a simple shape. Although I noticed that even I was breaking those rules in some of my recent sketches of Crossy. I wonder what that says about my drawing ability?

0 comments: